Top 7 Samples & Its buyer comments in Apparel Industry
By N U Dipu
Sample: Sample is a product which represents a group of product, in order to assess their quality, style or design or any other characteristic of the product.
Why need Sample: There are many reasons why it’s recommended to make multiple samples; some reasons are given below
- Based on the samples, the buyer will give approval or comments for any alteration in design or style or quality.
- Based on the samples, buyer will check measurements is correct or not.
- Based on the samples, buyer will test(Fabric & Others) is correct or not.
- Based on the sample, manufacturer can calculate actual fabric Consumption and can determine the final cost.
Process Sequence of Garments Sample Making:
Received Tech Pack from the Buyer >>> Pattern Making>>>Print/Embroidery>>> Sewing>
Finishing>>>QC Check >>>Send to the Buyer for Approval.
Types of Sample: In apparel manufacturing the different samples are required as follows:
- Proto Sample/Development Sample/First Sample: Proto Sample is made by visualizing idea & design or as per Buyer given artwork in the Development stage. Proto samples are also known as the first sample or development sample. This is the first sample made by manufacturer. It made by available similar fabric & accessories and sends to buyer.
- Color not okay, follow well pantone.
- Fabric quality need improve, hand feel not okay s/b softer more.
2.Fit Sample: As per buyer comments of proto sample or after approving the proto sample, the fit sample should be made by the following buyer provided a measurement sheet. It can be made by using similar fabric, nearer GSM, and any color. In Fit sample, stitching and measurement must be 100% accurate. Here fabrication and color can be changed but no compromise on stitching and measurement. As per given measurement chat middle size 3 pieces garments are used in the fit sample where 1pc is kept by the manufacturer for counter and balance 2 pcs are sent to the buyer.
- Shoulder arm fitting not ok, please increase +0.5cm.
- Sleeve length reduce -0.6cm
- Waist okay.
- Chest is not okay, please increase 1.5cm.
3. Size Set Sample: Once the proto sample and fit sample are approved, based on the pattern of the approved sample the grading for the other sizes are done and then patterns for the other sizes will be made. Size-set samples are sent to the buyer once the fitting is approved in Small, Medium, Large, Xtra-large and other sizes as per the requirement. Size set samples are made to check the fit and workmanship of each size & factory Capability
Size Set Sample
- Follow visual/Print grading as per spec.
- Head pass +1cm for small size 2 Month to 6 Month, Other size is okay
4.Salesman Sample (SMS): Salesman sample may also be known as marketing sample/Photo shoot sample/Showroom Sample. It is mandatory to make the SMS using the actual fabric & trims, with quality as this sample is used by the customer for display in their showrooms. It’s give them the idea of how the product is going to perform in the upcoming seasons. Based on the analysis of the feedback received from the customer, forecasting for the order Qty is done which is then passed to the factory for production. As the sample is to be displayed in multiple stores, it depends on the customer of how many SMS they require.
Salesman Sample (SMS)
- We need similar style & size another 02 color, please add this color for this style.
- We need embroidery instead of print, please submit embroidery strike offs before submit PPS.
5.Pre-Production Sample (PPS): P sample should be made in the actual production line by maintaining all actual of an order specification. It is the main stage of a garments order where any sample may be approved or rejected. If the sample will approve then can go for the rest of the process of that order. But if rejected then there will be the revision of previous processes. It is also called as a pilot run sample. PILOT RUN is a trial run, which should be developed before starting. It is a very critical stage than other’s stage. Extra care must be needed here to confirm an order correctly.
Pre-Production Sample (PPS)
- PPS Chest embroidery color looks dull, please follow embroidery strike offs approval.
- Top stich should be tone in tone. Button stich DTM.
- Fabric GSM not tolerate more than Plus-Minus 5
6.Production Sample/Top Sample: Once production is going on a few sample garments are taken in the middle of the production. The purposes to send the production sample to the buyer when production is on line being to inspect that the garments are being manufactured as per the approval and decided specifications. If this sample is approved then bulk production can start. This sample is also termed as GOLD SEAL SAMPLE/GREEN SEAl SAMPLE/CONFIRMATION SAMPLE by some buyers. Without gold seal sample approval, the shipment or final inspection cannot be done.
Production Sample/Top Sample
- Production sample fabric looks not good, please check follow Approved PPS.
- Embroidery color okay, quality okay , measurement okay.
7.Shipment Sample: Shipment sample representative of the bulk garments. This sample is needed after completing the final inspection when goods are ready for shipment. It is taken from production with folding, tagging, bagging, labeling and final packaging included.
Summary of sampling
|1. Proto Sample/Development Sample/First Sample||1. (Everything Available) To check the styling of the garment.|
|2. Fit Sample||2. (Measurement Spec actual others available)To check the fit of the garment|
|3. Size Set Sample||3. To check the factory’s capability & workmanship|
|4. Salesman Sample (SMS)||4.(Everything Actual) To analysis of the feedback received from the customer by showroom.|
|5. Pre-Production Sample (PPS)||5. (Everything Actual) To ensure the standard of garments for the bulk production.|
|6. Production Sample/Top Sample||6. (Everything Actual) To assure buyer that same quality is maintained in the bulk production.|
|7. Shipment Sample||7. (Everything Actual) To assure buyer that quality is maintained throughout the end of production.|
Leave A Comment